Pedestrian Accidents in Stockton: Why They Happen and What are Your Legal Options as a Victim?
Stockton is a bustling city, home to beautiful weather and landscapes. But the busy streets in the city make pedestrian accidents a reality. Pedestrians who have been hit by a driver can sustain serious injuries that may require extensive medical treatment. If you are one of these pedestrians, you need a skilled Stockton personal injury attorney who can help protect your rights and explain your legal options for compensation.
Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Each Stockton pedestrian accident is different, but some factors contribute to them. By understanding these factors, pedestrians and drivers do something to prevent these accidents from happening and guarantee the safety of all road users. Pedestrian accidents can happen due to the following:
- Distracted driving. As the use of smartphones and other devices increases, distracted driving has been a common issue on the road. Motorists may be texting, using GPS, or talking on their phones while driving. As a result, they may not notice people on the road and react promptly to avoid hitting them.
- Speeding. This bad driving practice minimizes the ability of the driver to unexpected scenarios and increases the seriousness of accident-related injuries. Pedestrians are common in school zones and residential areas. So, those who drive in these areas should obey the speed limit to avoid an accident.
- Not yielding. Under state law, motorists must give way to pedestrians when they approach intersections and crosswalks. Sadly, a lot of motorists do not observe this rule and operate their vehicles without checking for pedestrians.
- Impaired driving. Driving a car while under the influence of alcohol or drugs impairs a motorist’s judgment, ability to maneuver a car, and reaction time. This increases the risk of pedestrian accidents.
- Poor visibility. Typically, pedestrian accidents happen in poor weather conditions or during nighttime due to reduced visibility. Motorists and pedestrians must exercise caution during such times.
How a Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help You
If you have been hit by a driver as a pedestrian and sustained injuries, you should consult with a skilled injury lawyer. Your lawyer will guide you through each step of the legal procedures, collect evidence to support your claim, and negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance company for you.
In addition, your attorney can help you determine your claim’s value, ensuring it reflects the full extent of the damages you sustained including medical expenses, pain and suffering, and lost wages. Also, your attorney can identify all possible sources of compensation, especially if several parties are liable for the accident.